Understanding PushType

(George Stoumpos) #1

Hi again,

I’m rather new to Rails (not experienced) and I would like to truly understand how PushType works.
Now all seems complicated, could anyone help me get it together?
What should I look first?

I was also thinking maybe something could come out of this, like a guide for future contributors…
So? What do you think?

(Aaron Russell) #2

Hi @George_Stoumpos

I’m not sure if you’ve already seen this, but I recorded a screencast introduction to PushType. Check that out. Next up, read through the docs, which should help getting you started, up to a certain point at least (the docs still need work).

After that, ask questions here. If there’s anything you’re specifically struggling with, whether it’s something you’re confused by or something isn’t working as you expect, I or someone else here will try and help.

PushType is at this stage still a very young product. My over-arching goal is for PushType to be a tool that provides an accessible way for beginners to build websites with Rails, and and encourage learning through experimenting with code. To get to that point, PushType needs to establish itself as a decent CMS first, and establish a community of developers who are using it and contributing to it’s development. I’m aware that a lot of work is needed with documentation and resources for people of all levels of ability, and it’s going to take a while to get there.

So at this point, for someone that is new to Rails, learning PushType is still going to be a challenge. But I am genuinely interested in learning where the pain points and stumbling blocks are, so the CMS design and documentation can be shaped accordingly.

Finally, regarding your last point about contributors guidelines, there is something in the works. I’ll hopefully get something published in the next 5-10 days.